808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher 77 front 18 Spokes
Optimizing wheels to perform with precision and control at the depth of the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is pure engineering science. While the 808 Firecrest’s aerodynamics and stability are proven every weekend in road races, triathlons and time trials around the world, understanding how profoundly good these wheels are only comes from riding the wheel that, as a set, has proven faster than any other.
Optimizing the revolutionary Firecrest aero-rim concept for an 82mm depth and the distinct airflow pattern of clincher tires required us to evaluate a slew of minutely varied prototypes through CFD, or computational fluid dynamics, software and in the wind tunnel. At 27.5 mm wide, the final version is the fastest deep-section carbon clincher in the world. Yet, with a weight of only 1,885 grams, it more than holds its own on the climbs.
With Firecrest’s unparalleled approach to the wheel’s center of pressure, the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher also handles crosswinds with the stability you’d normally associate with a much shallower rim – making the 808 Carbon Clincher ideal for non-disc-legal courses like Kona. Plus, the wide rim shape provides efficient power transfer along with comfort and durability, making it an excellent choice for just about any terrain and riding style.
At the center of the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is Zipp’s 77/177 hubset with best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed. The result is improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility:
- Optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness.
- Includes newly designed quick-release skewers with a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, lever contours neatly with the frame.
- New robust hub shape with distinctive graphics.
- For those looking for a wider gear range, or tackling especially extreme terrain, an XD driver body for 177 is sold separately and easily installed to allow for more cassette options including a 10-42. The hubset is designed to swap driver bodies without re-dishing the wheel.
In addition to Firecrest, all Zipp full-Carbon Clinchers feature an exclusive heat-resistant resin as part of the composite structure. Utilized in the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher, this technology prevents spikes in rim temperature and tire pressure that can impact performance and handling. Zipp Carbon Clinchers have never had a heat-related failure. So every rider can tackle even the longest, most technical descents with confidence. For triathletes and road racers seeking superior aero performance, stable handling, and the convenience of clinchers, there’s no faster all-around wheelset than the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher.
Available in two decal options, the stealthy Matte Black or the distinctive Matte White decals. Each 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher wheel comes with Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, Zipp Integrated Valve Extender with valve-core wrench, rim tape and quick release.
- Weight - 855g
- Hub Used - 77
- Rim Depth - 82mm
- Brake Track Width (center) - 24.73mm
- Max Width - 27.5mm
- Spokes - Sapim CX-Sprint
- Spoke Count - 18
- Spoke Pattern - Radial
- Spoke Length - 226mm
- Max Tire Pressure - 125psi
- Max Tire Pressure - 8.62bars
- Track Adaptable - No
- Dimpled Surface - Yes
- Nipples - Sapim Secure Lock
- External Nipples - Yes